Monday, July 28, 2014

What is Honor

What is honor?  Merriam-Webster’s dictionary defines honor as “respect that is given to someone who is admired; good reputation; good quality or character as judged by other people; high moral standards of behavior”. The Urban Dictionary actually gives a better definition, more along the lines of my beliefs…”The courage to do what is right, no matter what. A belief that your actions represent more than just yourself” Think about that for a moment.  “The courage to do what is right, no matter what.” 

I could go into a whole long spiel about the Celtic virtues and the various arguments about exactly what those are and why, and could go on to list various source references for each debate.  The fact simply remains that my ancestors were honorable people who had values.  Period.  The Irish word for honor is “oineach” which came from the Old Irish word “enech” meaning “face”.  “To save face” is a phrase I am sure we are all familiar with.  It was, and is, important to keep one’s dignity and respect of others by being honorable. 
The main core virtues, in my opinion, are honor, truth, loyalty, justice, courage, and hospitality.  It is also my opinion that honor encompasses all the other five virtues, as well as many more people tend to add.  To be blunt, any virtue, by way of definition of honor, is part of being honorable.  Being hospitable is an honorable act.  Being courageous is an honorable act.  Being loyal….well, here is where our problem arises. 

Honor is a very tricky thing.  One can be quite courageous, which IS an honorable act, and yet still be a dishonorable person.  Miss one of these virtues and your honor has just gone “poof”….you have lost “face”.  Loyalty seems to be the one virtue that many do not seem to grasp.  Being loyal does not mean being loyal when times are good, or when your “friend” is being applauded by the public.  I was condemned for my public display of loyalty to a friend facing some serious allegations; I was betrayed by those I trusted and shown their disloyalty to me…I do not need to name names here. Those involved know who I mean, and those not involved can still learn a lesson. 


“The courage to do what is right, no matter what.”  Really think on this phrase for a minute.  No matter what…meaning no matter the loss you may incur, no matter the ostracization you might receive, no matter what.  You do what is honorable. You must be honest and loyal, courageous and hospitable, you fight for justice and in doing all these things you are honorable.  

1 comment:

  1. A very nice summary! I have often fallen back to the 8 virtues of Bushido and even wrote my own version of a "Warrior's code" but added a 9th, right relationship to the Earth...

    ReplyDelete